Thursday, February 12, 2009

Quick News - Legal Kidnapping (and release) in Egypt

OK, I said I wouldn't follow the news too closely [ADDENDUM -- AND HERE'S A GOOD REASON WHY: 2 HOURS AFTER POSTING THIS HEARD THE GOOD NEWS THAT PHILIP HAS BEEN RELEASED. GOOD. WILL LEAVE POST FOR THE LINKS AND LESSONS TO BE LEARNED FROM IT.]- but I'm making an exception.

* Let me take you to Egypt, and see how the "Mother of the World" (nickname Egyptians give to their country) treats people who are interested in the people of Gaza. Philip Rizk was kidnapped now almost a week ago by the secret police. Philip wouldn't know me from a tea kettle but I've met him twice - looked like a really good guy. Read about his kidnapping here (very enlightening about Egypt, the 2nd largest recipient of US aid - we really pick the winners!). There's a Facebook group to coordinate support for his release.

* Finally, just yet another link to a Gideon Levy paper (this guy is good really) about the death of the Israeli Left and the meaninglessness of the term Zionism. If you are pro-Israel, you really should read this. (I'm also pro-Israel, simply pro-Israel behind borders just as any other state on earth.)

Now, skip this and go to my previous analysis of the fear and hatred which feeds the kind of Zionism Levy denounces: "The Words of 'War to the Death'."

Peace is possible. Collective Suicide - not so fun.

Elrig

No comments: